(* Not related to [sub]NOVA from Sheffield England or the electronic musician Subnova from Minneapolis)

Friday, April 19, 2019

New Puppy!

(My slowly evolving Ibanez 2383)
J.A.S. dropped a new el cheapo brand-Asia neck pickup into my Ibanez. Before I had strung up my Ibanez I heard the bridge pickup in one of J.A.S.'s guitars (an electric Takamine) where J.A.S. had replaced the stock magnet with a new ALNICO magnet.

I remembered I had the magnet from the original, non-functioning Epiphone pickup - so I did a mag-brain transplant! The original magnet turned out to be waaaay stronger than brand-Asia, and I am getting much more sustain. Very happy the pickup has a bit of the original in it and is truly a mutant!

PS The Gibson pickup covers I bought are a hair too narrow for brand-Asia, which is why that pickup is nude.
PPS A new roller bridge is on there too.

Anyhow, here is the weirdness, when I have 3-way switch in the middle, both neck and bridge pickups on, there is no volume unless I have the top volume knob right in the middle. It is not a sweep or anything like that, basically, once I hit 5 the pickups light up and the lower volume knob controls the volume.

No comments:

Post a Comment