(* Not related to [sub]NOVA from Sheffield England or the electronic musician Subnova from Minneapolis)

Tuesday, November 1, 2022

Here We Go Again...

 

1973 Ibanez 2383

Pre-lawsuit "open book" headstock FujiGen Gakki constructed Ibanez design for Mann Guitars of Canada. I've had this guitar for a bit over 7 years and is in need of an upgrade. The instrument has problems staying in tune (no locking nut for the tremalo) and getting all the strings exactly intonated.

I am replacing the bridge and tuners with Schaller, with the tuners being of the locking variety. I also bought 2 new slightly overwound Fralin-recreated PAF neck and bridge humbuckers (keeping the original vintage Epiphone for the middle pickup) along with a new wiring pot harness assembly custom made by KellingSound on eBay. (KellingSound made the assembly I used for my Fender MB-4 bass which is excellent.)

I did pull an oopsies on the strings though, I picked up 11's and it turns out there were 9's on the guitar. I was trying to figure out what I had on there from Amazon purchases (I use Elixir "nano-web" coated strings so they last a long time since I am usually jamming only bass guitar meaning the 6-string electric often sits idle). It looks like the 11's were on my Whippersnapper Les Paul Jr. copy (made by Sick Rick). So I'll see how it goes. I can always put the lighter strings on later. Ha, I play regular guitar pretty chord heavy anyway.

The guitar's appearance, with the new chrome instead of gold hardware plus some very unusual knob assignments, is going to be a bit bizarre. Not the least is going from a 3-way toggle pickup switch to rotary 6-position chickenhead knob, but also adding an Iron Age momentary kill switch. Har, insanity...

(Stripped neked...)

(All clean!)

No comments:

Post a Comment